Chiesa del Carmine
The small Church of Santa Maria del Carmine, located in a decentralized, almost hidden position, along Vico Terzo de Sanctis, represents a real artistic, historical and cultural jewel of the Andretta community. Together with the chapel of San Pietro, also extra moenia, the church of Santa Maria del Carmine represented, during the eighteenth century, the generating element of the expansion and development of the original urban core.
Bene ambientale architettonico: Architettura
The small Church of Santa Maria del Carmine, located in a tight curve of Corso F. de Sanctis, occupies a rectangular area of approximately 98 square meters and a volume of 588 cubic meters. The plastered gabled façade culminates with a triangular tympanum surmounted, on the right side, by a bell sail. The church is accessed via a stone staircase that connects the street level with the entrance door. The peculiarity of the church is the central nave, divided into spans by high pillars with barrel vaults, set on round arches. The presbytery, raised by two steps above the hall, is covered by a barrel vault in the lunettes of which two windows open that illuminate the altar space. On the back wall of the presbytery, a central niche holds the polychrome statue of the Madonna del Carmine.
Alessandro della Badia
Vico Terzo de Sanctis, 13, 83040 Andretta AV
Architectural asset of the Church Ecclesiastical Region: Diocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi, Conza, Nusco, Bisaccia Subsidiary church dependent on the Parish of Santa Maria Assunta
The original construction of the church dedicated to Santa Maria del Carmine dates back to an unknown period. A Convent of the Carmelite Fathers was annexed to it, closed on 6 January 1655 by Monsignor Fabrizio Campana, with the transfer of the management of the related entrances to the Episcopio of S. Andrea di Conza. The dilapidated and decayed conditions in which the property poured out led, in 1720, Alessandro della Badia to rebuild it entirely and in 1723 a Bull of Bishop Nicolai attributed the ius-patronage to Antonio and Erberto Acocella. In 1736 the development of the town had not yet absorbed the Church within it, which in fact at that time was extra moenia. The Church of the Carmine represented the extreme end of the radical urban redevelopment intervention, which took place by the mayor Francesco Maria Miele in 1880 to improve the viability, healthiness and decor of the town. The Metropolitan Archbishop of Conza, Giulio Tommasi, during a visit made between 29-31 May 1930, forbade the Church to worship, probably due to its renewed state of decay. The current appearance of the Church is the result of the last restoration carried out in 2010.