To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin.
Chiesa Santissima Annunziata
According to the decision of the Decurionate of 2 June 1818, the religious building, born as a chapel, served as an ancient church of the municipality, having always been equipped with a bell tower, "it was more than general opinion at the beginning of the 18th century that the chapel of 'Annunziata was the ancient church of the Municipality, for always having the bell tower ”. Furthermore, the archpriest Angelo Acocella, in the volume "The buildings and the works of worship in Andretta", reports that the ancient entrance door of the church, with the bases on which the slightly protruding columns rest, the sixth arch acute and the capitals is a faithful model of the poor buildings of 1200.
Bene ambientale architettonico: Architettura
The Church, located in a central position with respect to the urban core, occupies an area of about 128 square meters and a volume of about 832 cubic meters. The current structure, dating back to the eighteenth century, has undergone significant transformations over the centuries. Access to the church is via a staircase that connects the street level with the entrance door. The gabled façade with an imposing stone portal, with a pointed arch, and an ogival niche, is closed by a triangular tympanum placed in axis with the portal below. The left side is characterized by the majestic bell tower, enriched in 1894 with two clocks with Carrara marble dials. The hall of worship, with a single nave, has a rectangular shape and is covered by a barrel vault, with a painting depicting the Holy Family in the center. The interior of the building is entirely covered with stalls, functional to a Congregation born in the mid-eighteenth century. The triumphal arch that introduces the presbytery area has stucco decorations. The statue of the Virgin and the Archangel Gabriel dominates the altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and declared privileged in 1835. The baptismal font, in carved stone, located on the right side of the entrance and already existing in 1658, is of great workmanship.
Via Professore Giovanni Guglielmo, 6, 83040 Andretta AV
Architectural asset of the Church
Ecclesiastical Region: Diocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi, Conza, Nusco, Bisaccia
Subsidiary church dependent on the Parish of Santa Maria Assunta
The religious structure is currently undergoing restoration
The current Church of the Annunciation, built in the eighteenth century, following many works and modifications over the centuries, differs from the original religious building dating back to the thirteenth century. According to historical sources, in 1576, in addition to the altar of the Virgin, the chapel dedicated to Santa Sofia and, subsequently, the altars of Santa Maria di Monserrato, patronized by the Mauro family, and of San Donato with a painting were located in the chapel. wanted by Boezio Morano. In the records of the Pastoral Visit of Mons. Capanna of 1658, for the first time, the baptismal font in carved stone placed to the right of the entrance and the two bells of the bell tower are described. In 1737 on the main altar, declared privileged in 1835, the statue of the Annunciation stands out. In December 1776 the Church of the Annunciation was elevated, with Royal Assent, to a non-profit organization with the title of "Congregation of the Holy Family of God Jesus, Joseph and Mary, and of the Good Death". The building, now located in a central position, in the past occupied a marginal position with respect to the city center. It was the seat of a Confraternity of the Dead and used, in the first half of the 19th century, to bury the dead. In 1894, under the administration led by the Giuseppe Miele di Amato union, the majestic bell tower was rebuilt, enriched with two white Carrara marble clocks. In 1930, after the pastoral visit, the metropolitan archbishop of Conza, Giulio Tommasi, ordered the statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to be moved from the main altar and placed in a more decent place. In the first half of the twentieth century the facade of the sacred building underwent a restoration: a niche was created by walling the rectangular window and the smooth plaster was replaced by a false ashlar inserted between two pilasters and the "romanella" with a evident cornice. The building is currently undergoing an important and delicate conservative restoration.